Monday, June 29, 2015

The final days

Today is the 29th and I only have a couple more days of this wonderous lifestyle before going back to the states. Yesterday I spent a total of 8 hours in the car driving to pick up my brave mother who wanted to join in on the closing hours of this adventure. On the way back from the airport, I caved. We stopped at the Jerk Centre and each had a delicious serving of Jerk Chicken. The vegan lifestyle is nice, but meat every now and then is nicer.

The following day we started the morning with a walk to the cliff side. Mom came on this adventure and we hiked through the town until reaching our destination. Here the little Rastas, who were serving as our tour guide, spent close to an hour attempting to remove a stick from under a boulder. Eventually, they had to settle for a refrigerator door.

Once returned, I gave my mother an orientation in the bees so she would know I've actually been learning while here. We suited up and I showed her what a routine check on a hive looks like. After this we went to the beach and cooled off until lunchtime.

After lunch, we drove off-road, up to the apiary we were constructing in the mountains. We brought about 16 cinderblocks with us to prepare for moving the hives. We also cutlassed out a lot more of the area and set the debris aflame.

To wrap up the night we ate a delicious dinner, snacked on peanuts and pie, and were in bed by a nice 9:00pm.

Due to lack of technology I will be doing one more blog post, once back in America, to wrap up my overall experience here. If you've been keeping up with this blog I appreciate it and hope you've been enjoying it as much as I have!

1 comment:

  1. Wow your mom was immersed in bee culture immediately. Hopefully with no stings yet.
    The jerk chicken must have been worth the 8 hr drive to get her!!
    Lots of laughs and fun with your mom. Canʻt wait to see the pics!!

    ReplyDelete